Sunday, May 19, 2019

May 19, 2019

I had a dream the other night about plants. Something about the cost of already grown tomatoes, versus growing them from seed. When I woke up, I felt a strange sense of guilt. I think I've been obsessing over my tomatoes a little too much recently.



What happens every year is that I get some tomatoes and hings are going pretty good. I get some growth, the leaves seem pretty good but then they show up. APHIDS. Like that deal you make with the devil, it always comes back when you seem to have forgotten. Tomatoes, a seemingly easy plant to grow becomes a pain in the ass. This time last year, those weird little green, sometimes brown guys showed up and started sucking the life out of my wonderful tomatoes. Used soap they said, its a natural defense against the little guys. What they didn't say was that even if you put soap on your plants at nighttime, during the daytime you create a wonderful sun magnifying, leaf suffocating elixir. There went the plans for homemade canned sauce for the summer. Not again this year! I settled on using some Neem oil, and so far so good. It does kill the good insects, but since I live in a city and in an apartment complex, there really aren't that many insects around these days. The spider that has been in between both of the tomatoes survived, so I approve. Most of the other plants are doing decently well. I will have to fix some drainage issues with the peppers and I made holes a little too small in their containers. I also transplanted the Madhu Ras melons into a makeshift, soon to be vertical raised bed contraption. They couldn't be any happier. I also added some perennials, which have already attracted some butterflies.

No comments:

Post a Comment